Re: 2nd section finals test

At 23:44 4/05/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi listers,
>
>I'm having trouble believing that 'Three Figures' has been selected as the
>2nd section Nationals test.
>
>WOW!!!!!! - good luck to all concerned!

WOW indeed. It was the first test piece I ever played, when it was the
imposed in the Belgium Nationals (Championship-section) about 13 years ago.
Not a single band (including ourselves) managed to even understand the
piece those days, and I'm sure it would be a serious challenge if we had to
play it now.

Next year: Harmony Music & Masquerade for the youth section! (Played one
tone higher then written if not challenging enough).

No seriously, it seems to be a tendency to make the pieces in the lower
sections harder & harder. Even the conductors of the bands take own choice
pieces above their grades. In the last two months, I heard (in first
section) 'The Year of the Dragon', 'English Heritage' and 'Blitz'. I can
understand it is a challenge, maybe a good idea on a concert, but on a
contest it doesn't seem to put the band in the best position to show their
capabilities: a lot of struggling, hardly no music (there are always
exceptions of course!). And as far as I can tell, this phenomenon can be
observed in different countries: England, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, ...

On the other hand, I suppose you have to prepare a band that is about to
promote to a higher section, but it is not always the best bands who take
the difficult pieces, alas.

Stef, Euph. Willebroek.

(Hey Steve, heard some very good comments on the concert you gave in
Belgium lately with 'De Lustige Muzikanten'. Sorry I couldn't be there.)