Re: 2nd section finals test

Steve Sykes wrote:

> I'm having trouble believing that 'Three Figures' has been selected as the
> 2nd section Nationals test.

...snip...

> This has to be one of the most difficult test pieces ever written (for ANY
> grade). It was a British Open test in the early Eighties - very few bands
> made any sense of it on that occasion.
> Have we really come so far in terms of musicality and technique that this
> music is now rated 2nd section??? - I think I'm missing something here
...snip...

> - I would have been totally gobsmacked if it had been selected for the 1st
> section never mind 2nd!
>
> Just wait 'til this one is detonated in the bandroom!!
>
> Any fellow banders who know this work as well as I do - your opinions please!
>
> What chance 'Benvenuto Cellini' for the third section areas???

I must agree with Steve - this will be a tough nut to crack, both in
terms of technique and musicianship.  When the choice was announced I
listened to the Fodens/Snell recording from '93 and thanked my lucky
stars that we didn't qualify - in places even this very worthy
combination seems to have difficulty with the shape and direction of
the music.  I thought it was fairly common understanding that Three
Figures was tougher than Howells' other band work, Pagentry, which is
still used to test bands at the highest level...

David