Re: 2nd section finals test etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Sykes <sykotuba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 May 1999 08:36
Subject: 2nd section finals test

>Hi listers,
>
>I'm having trouble believing that 'Three Figures' has been selected as the
>2nd section Nationals test.
>
>WOW!!!!!! - good luck to all concerned!

Having only played through this piece in the course of a rehearsal (as a
Solo Cornet player with a Championship Section Band) I found it extremely
difficult and the kind of piece that 2nd Section players (no offence) would
find nigh impossible. Especially under Contest conditions

As a Music Teacher, I'm all  for players (and Bands) playing pieces beyond
their means, solely for the experience of playing those kind of  pieces - my
own dear Cornet teacher (the late great Frank Brennan) used to tell me -
"You don't get better playing easy pieces" - and he was absolutely right.
But on a Contest platform?

I may also question the selection of "Salute To Youth" as a 1st Section
test-piece. No doubt Bands who have been relegated from the Championship
Section last year will make a fairly good attempt at playing this piece, but
let's be honest here, there are not many established Championship Section
Bands - and I include my own at this present moment in this  - that could
even come close to giving this work the credit it deserves.

 I was at The Open in 1985 when Dyke won by a mile, but truth to tell there
was not a terrific challenge from the rest of the field that day so the
quote that Steve Sykes gave us earlier :-

>Have we really come so far in terms of musicality and technique that this
music >(in the case of "Salute To Youth") < is now rated > (1st Section?)
I think not.

Furthermore, have the selection committee looked at the broader picture in
selecting these pieces?

Most of the Second Section Bands that I know are made up mainly of
schoolchildren who, on one hand, enjoy a challenge (re. Frank Brennan's
quote) but have important exams to sit and pass and therefore cannot commit
themselves to the necessary rehearsal time needed to perform these pieces
well which often results in players leaving bands. The knock-on effect
results in less experienced (or younger players) filling seats who
(generally) are not technically ready for such a challenge and therefore
either do not perform the music to the standard it deserves or decide
themselves to leave the Band.

Is this really the way forward for the movement?

I know I'm being very presumptuous (and perhaps a little pessimistic) here,
but I've been in this game long enough now to see into the crystal ball and
predict what may happen.

Don't get me wrong, nothing would give me more pleasure than to see all the
1st and 2nd Section Bands who have qualified for the Finals give outstanding
performances of their respective Test-pieces, but judging from what I've
seen on this list so far, I don't think that many of us expect to see this
and the blame, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't lie with the bands
themselves

Sandy McAughtrie
Dalmellington Band