Women in Brass Bands - not a sexist comment!!

I've just got my e-mail running again after my computer had a nervous
breakdown a fortnight ago so I apologise if you all have had enough of
this subject.

I conduct the Riddings 'B' Band which is the junior section of the
Riddings Band.  We currently have a membership of 21 junior members  and
3 adult beginners - out of all these "Brass players of the future" there
are only 3 lads!!  So where are all the men??

Does anyone else find this trend amongst young people / youth bands ??

If you do I don't think that the question of whether women should be in
brass bands will be an issue because there won't be enough men to have
all male bands !!

I would welcome comments about the ratio of lads/girls in youth bands -
does anyone think that our ratio is so high because I am a female
conductor ?

Regards

Izzy
(MD Riddings 'B' Band, Back Row Cornet player Riddings Band)