Re: Royal Parks

njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< > Who can tell me something about the background of the piece?
 > The second part p.e. has the subtitle "In Memory of bandsmen killed by
 > terrorists 20/7/82". What was at that time?

 My understanding is that the music was written before the IRA bomb, not
 after. Many conductors/players assume it is the other way around. >>

According to the sleeve notes for the Dyke 'Complete Champions' CD, George
Lloyd, who lived close to Regents Park wanted ".. to write something as a
modest memorial to the men who lost their lives for other people's
entertainment. From that grew the idea of 'Royal Parks'."

Martyn Pattinson
Bedrock Brass