Re: 993 BBb Tuba

-----Original Message-----
From: John Szkutko <jszkutko@xxxxxxxxx>
Gidday John
I have had my 993 Soverign for a bit over 12 months now & I love it. Being
very light weight (except for when you have to carry it on a street
march!!!) it sounds easily and also produces a very bright sound. It is
extremely free blowing especially in the low register where the pedals are
no where near as stuffy as on previous horns that I have played. Having the
tuning slides at the top is great and especially good design to have two
slides for the 4th valve tuning slide, one being at the top.
On the negative side it has a few problems with ergonomics. Changing valves
quickly from say 1/3 to 2/4 or 2/3 to 4 etc is bit tricky and playing moving
passages on pedals tends to take a bit of work to get smooth. No doubt
anyone who has played a front rotary valve tuba would find this easier but
the length of the valve travell still gives a few problems. It is impossible
to get your left hand around to the valves to help out here.
With regard to intonation the middle stave B & Bb are both flat and I have
to use alternative fingering to get them in tune.  I generally use
alternative fingering for D below the stave and E. This doesn't appear to be
a problem with a few other 993's in the area so its probably me.
Emptying the NO 3 valve water key usually gives you a wet foot--- normally
only a problem during summer rehersals.
 The worst of the ergonomics is the positioning of the lead pipe which for
me is about 40mm too high. I get around the problem by using a tuba stand
but its another bit of gear to lug around. I'm sure John Gillam would have
no problem, but I am only 5'7" & 5/8.
All round I recommend, it if you like the EEb you will love the BBb.
Regards.
Peter Estall
Concept Brass

>Peter
>
>You play a 993 Sovereign, the front action model. How does the sound,
>intonation, clarity, ease of playing etc. compare to the 994 model.
>
>I have recently acquired an 983 EEb front action tuba and love it! Sound,
>clarity etc. is excellent! I currently play the 994 BBb in my band. If
there
>is really no difference between the 994 and 993, in the above aspects I
>listed, then i'd love to have the front action 993.
>
>Having an arm free to adjust the first and third slides has been a
blessing!
>Especially for the pedal register when the 4th valve is used in combination
>with the others.
>
>If anyone else has experience with either or both these BBb tubas, please
>post them here if you don't mind. I've been debating with myself which BBb
>tuba to buy and if the 983 is comparable to the 994, then i'll get it.
Yeah,