Re: 993 BBb Tuba

John Szkutko wrote:

> You play a 993 Sovereign, the front action model. How does the sound,
> intonation, clarity, ease of playing etc. compare to the 994 model.

IMHO the sound is much fuller and the pedal tones are easy to get.
traditionally, the 3+1 design of compensating tubas suffer from
stuffiness in the 3+4 combination (which brings into play the little
compensator slide on the back of the 3rd valve). The front action design
gets rid of some of those tight bends, and it has resulted in a much
more free blowing horn. There are one or two intonation issues but these
are minimised by the fact that you can now reach the slides to adjust
them. And the 994 was far from perfect, anyway :)
I only have one criticism, in that it is still a very tall tuba, and
unnecessarily so. It is a little difficult to get to the third slide to
adjust it quickly, and making a few design changes to make the
instrument more squat (a bit like my beautiful Bohm-Meinl CC!!) will
work wonders. I think the ergonomic consultant must have been either a
gorilla or John Gillam :)
I play the EEb in Dalewool Auckland Brass (we have a set of four) and I
love it for its big open sound without being too "piggy".
The band I conduct, (Concept Brass) have a pair of BBbs.
In short, buy it!!

Cheers,
Adrian