Sovereign Front Action Tubas.

Hi John,

	I read your comments on the new Boosey 983 EEb Sovereign Tuba with
interest, and indeed those from Peter on the 993 BBb . I currently play EEb
Bass with the G.U.S band and, about two months ago, I decided to replace my
old 983 'standard' model EEb. At the Tuba conference in Birmingham four
years ago I was lucky enough to be one of the delegates who tried the
hand-made prototype of this instrument and loved it due to it's free-blowing
nature and general ease to play. However, I must admit my reservations as to
whether the 'finished article' would be as good when it was mass produced.
That's why I was keen to try one of the instruments when they were released
last year for general sale. I did take a trip to Phil Parkers, London and,
yes, it was as good to play. I raved about the instrument at my band of the
time, Matthews Norfolk Brass, as they were purchasing a new set of
instruments. They rejected my idea as they were told by several sources
(including the large dealer they were buying from) that the instrument would
not fit into a 'brass band sound' as it has the smaller 17" bell flare. One
question that springs to mind is "What is a 'Brass Band Sound ??" and "Why
would an instrument not fit in just because it has a smaller bell flare but
the same bore ??", perhaps you could all tell me. Anyway, I tried the
instrument several times and always thought it was a vast improvement so
when I purchased a new instrument myself this year I decided to go with one
of 983, front-action, models. I now play this regularly with the G.U.S band,
including 'stand-up' solos and I, along with the rest of the band, think it
fits fine into the sound and texture of the band. Obviously it's a case of
"it's not the size that matters, but what you do with it" (bell flare!!) and
I have to say that I would not dream now of going back to the older style
instrument and would highly recommend it to anybody.

Congratulations B & H on a wonderful instrument, I am really pleased and it
is a vast improvement. All I can say to anybody who doubts this instruments
capabilities is 'listen to Patrick Sheridan', a truly wonderful virtuosic
player.

Rob Norman
(Eb Bass - G.U.S)

P.S:- I will be playing my 983 front-action model at the 'masters' next
week, if anybody wants to talk to me about it.