993 BBb Tuba "Thank You"

Adrian Raven, Andrew Cattanach, Rob Norman and Peter Estall

Thank you very much for your views and comments about the 993 BBb tuba! Your
comments have been printed for the solw purpose of recommending the 993 to
my band when we come to purchase our next BBb tuba.

I would personally recommend them just from playing my 983 EEb but what I
have now will greatly help the cause.

Just a few things i'd like to comment. Peter, you mentioned the "dicky"
valve combinations with 2/4 - 2/3 etc. The great thing I have found our
first hand (this is one of the wonderful things with these new models) is
that alternate fingerings can be used with out the fear of intonation
problems - simply adjust the slides TOO EASY!!

The 17 inch bell flare of the EEb? I like the sexula reference to that ;-)
It's what you DO with it, NOT the size. Just playing my EEb for a couple of
days now, there are some notes that are quite full in sound just like the
981 and 982s. The only reason for just a couple of notes so far is that I've
just got it and still getting used to it. I'm positive from the "good" notes
i've played in all registers, that "sound" will not be an issue.

As for reaching around with your left hand to help out with valve
combinations, use alternates and slide adjustment (This is such a luxury
-)  )

Just a couple more questions.

Our MD, Edward Kennedy, has on many occasions had reservations about
"horizontal  valves" and their "weraing out". I haven't had too much
experience here so can anyone tell me do they wear out quicker, if they do
is it years earlier r just a few days? I honestly belive they will wear out
earlier (for obvious reasons) but not so much earlier that warrant a "BAN"
on purchasing those instruments.

Marchers with this instrument (993 BBb in particular), good, easy,
comfortable? Please let me know

I'll be competing at the New Zealand Band Championships at the beginning of
June with the South Brisbane Federal band. It would be simply marvelous if I
could have a "HONK" on a 993 or two and have first hand experience with
them. If anyone can oblige, please let me know. Perhaps after the BBb tuba
solo is over, then we can all relax and compare "notes". :-)

Thanks once again for the responses so far, they have been worth their
weight in gold so far.

Regards

John Szkutko