Rules about advertising on this list

There has recently been an upsurge in attempts to advertise using this list.

First, let me make it plain that it is not my intention to stop free speech,
nor to stop people attempting to use the 'net for business purposes, since
this would be rather hypocritical of me!

However, it is also not my intention to invest a lot of my time, effort and
money to allow other people to profit from my efforts. I therefore I call all
of your attentions to rule 17. This rule does make way for advertising, but
only if you have the manners to ask me first. Most people are fine with this,
but the reason I have now brought this to a head is that I have had to take the
drastic action of unsubscribing a member for her abusive attitude over this
issue and her actions of not listening to what I was saying. As you can see
I feel very strong about this. When I first installed rule 17 I asked for
opinions on it before instating - this action elicited a number of positive

I will enter *reasonable* arguments on this issue. But arguments along the
lines "I'm right, you're not" or sarcastic comments will not be responded to.

"17)Rules about advertising: The only advertising which is allowed is for
 concerts and contests taken out by bands or private individuals. Indeed
 adverts for these are positively encouraged. There is a separate page for
 instruments for sale and wanted at http://www.smsltd.demon.co.uk/sale.htm.
 For now no charges will be made for this service - just don't deluge me!
 Companies wishing to advertise should contact njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 This does not relate to CompuServe's customers who are bound by section
 7.1(c) of their terms.
 All adverts must relate to Brass Bands.
 In case you wonder why this is in, to be blunt I'm not impressed by people
 making money from my time, efforts and phone bill."

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet. ICQ#20252325