RE: Introduction, Andy Callard

Andy

I recall your name from TPIN, the Trumpet list and I think we exchanged
messages a couple of years ago.

It was interesting to read your short autobiography and one point in
particular caught my eye - your spell with Newham in the 70s.  Whilst
involved with Newham myself at the time, my musical contributions were
in their formative stage - usually this meant collecting the stand
banners at the end of concerts for a reward of a couple of pence!!  You
may or may not recall my Dad Ron Cooper who had been Newham's MD for a
number of years before relinquishing the post before Ray took over.  He
then came back and played principal cornet again for a few years. Others
I remember were Dave Rook on sop, Chris Bailey on trom and unfortunately
most others by face rather than name.

>From what Dad's told me this period was one where Newham benefited from
regular visits from the likes of Elgar Howarth and other London based
composers, to try out new arrangements/compositions. In fact I recall a
story about the band performing Howarth's Trumpet Concerto with a young
trumpet student playing the solo - wasn't you was it Andy?

Another interesting fact that might interest listmembers was that when
Newham were auditioning for a new MD (and I think this was when Ray Farr
was selected) one of the unsuccessful applicants was another young
trumpet player from the London orchestral scene -  none other than
Howard Snell!!  Nohstanding Ray's considerable achievements, I've
often wondered if that decision was regretted!!

Anyway, time's moved on and my dad and I are now both playing in the KM
Gillingham Band in Kent, me on sop and dad on 3rd cornet.  We are in the
championship section and are going through a bit of a rebuilding process
under Graham Wilson - you might have come across him whilst freelancing.

Good to see you on the list - look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards

David Cooper