Re: Crawley Results- Entertainment vs Good Playing

>Regrettably, I was unable to attend so can't expand on what was played - a
>number of the conductors are on this list so maybe they can enlighten us!
>(Steve S & Jeremy to name but two!)
>
>Andy

Hi All

First City Brass played:
Fanfare from Carmina Burana
Hora Stacatto - all the cornets
Skylark - slow melody horn solo
March The Champions
There's No Business Like Showbusiness
Mid all the Traffic
O Fortuna from Carmina Burana

I am (apparently) not very good at entertainment contests as rarely do we
feature - we tend to get very good or good marks for playing and less good
marks for entertainment - unless we join the hordes and dance or take our
clothes off it is likely to stay that way.

Two years ago at Spennymoor Cory tried playing a programme of good music,
well and came nowhere. Last year we devised a Village People Medley with
dance routine and costume with 28 stone singer and came in 4th  behind
Fodens JJB and YBS.

IMHO the system at Crawley gives much too large a proportion of the marks to
entertainment at the expense of good playing. Also the nonsense over
timing - setting up the stage is included in the timing - is daft. The marks
are allocated 60 music and playing, 30 entertainment, 10 for deportment and
presentation. This has again produced a result where 1st and 2nd section
bands have beaten Championship section bands through  highly visual and
choreographed means rather than just by playing better - which is what I had
assumed it was all about.

I played for my fathers band in the same contest playing a programme that I
considered to be really old hat, Fanfare and Flourishes, La Danza, Death or
Glory, etc and they got 3 more marks for entertainment than we did playing 5
brand new arrangements. There we are - I don't understand it - so it looks
like we will have to get out our wigs and tutu's for next year - or stay at
home.

Jeremy