Re: Introduction, Andy Callard

-----Original Message-----
From: David Cooper <cooperd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 10:33 PM
Subject: RE: Introduction, Andy Callard

>Another interesting fact that might interest listmembers was that when
>Newham were auditioning for a new MD (and I think this was when Ray Farr
>was selected) one of the unsuccessful applicants was another young
>trumpet player from the London orchestral scene -  none other than
>Howard Snell!!  Nohstanding Ray's considerable achievements, I've
>often wondered if that decision was regretted!!

David,

That "young trumpet player", Howard Snell, had by then retired after about
10 years as principal with the LSO, many of them as the orchestra's
chairman. He was founder, business manager and conductor of the (then)
successful Wren Orchestra. I find it very funny that despite him reaching
the highest levels of achievement possible in the music profession he could
be overlooked by Newham...no doubt because of his lack of brass band
credentials! Having said that, with some bands sounding (to my ears) more
and more like large brass ensembles perhaps a little caution is a good
thing?

I thought Ray Farr was a wonderful MD for Newham at that time. He did bring
along new music and his own fantastic arrangements but he also respected the
brass band tradition. We worked with Elgar Howarth, Paul Patterson and
Robert Farnon among others. Ray was still with the BBC radio orchestra, and
as a result of his networking I am sure the band had more broadcasts than
its status really merited. We  probably lacked the good players needed to
enter the big league (hope I've not upset anyone) but the ensemble playing
under Ray was at times first rate. His personality was engaging, his
enthusiasm self-evident and he won the respect of the band.

To answer a couple of questions, Ray himself played the Howarth cornet
concerto (cornet with a trumpet mouthpiece...bad form!), but I did play
Gregson's "Prelude and Capriccio". Perhaps that is what your dad recalls? Of
the names you mention I remember Dave Rook on soprano and particularly his
excellent work on "Un Vie De Matelot". Incidentally, I introduced a fellow
student, Martyn Brabbins, to the band on first trombone for a while. He
originally played euphonium with Towcester Studio and later went on to
conduct them. He now conducts professionally all over the place and seems to
do a lot on Radio 3 with the BBC Scottish. Anyone remember him?

Regards,

Andy Callard.
http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/index.htm