Re: 'Staggering' with BBb Bass

Jerry Cadden said of the Sousaphone:

>Never have I ever played one that was worth running over with a car.

I know of one exception to this.  In college our marching band played horns
by Olds, its too long ago for me to remember the model.  They were nickel
silver finish with an oversized bell, real beasts weighing about 35 lbs.
Aside from the intense pain of placing them on your shoulder the first day
or two each fall - they were the best sounding tubas I have ever played.  I
was never much of a tuba player, playing it for marching only since I was a
French horn player and didn't own a suitable instrument for marching band.
Those horns had an incredible tone - and it was easy to center the pitch,
allowing even us mediocre players avoid that "blatting" sound marching bands
are so famous for.

Anybody else remember this type of horn?  They were old enough to be falling
apart when we played them in the late 70's, probably made in the 40's of
50's.

Mary Ellen Lathrop
2nd Alto horn
Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band