Re: Introduction, Andy Callard

>>Another interesting fact that might interest listmembers was that when
>>Newham were auditioning for a new MD (and I think this was when Ray Farr
>>was selected) one of the unsuccessful applicants was another young
>>trumpet player from the London orchestral scene -  none other than
>>Howard Snell!!  Nohstanding Ray's considerable achievements, I've
>>often wondered if that decision was regretted!!
>

>David,
>
>That "young trumpet player", Howard Snell, had by then retired after about
>10 years as principal with the LSO, many of them as the orchestra's
>chairman. He was founder, business manager and conductor of the (then)
>successful Wren Orchestra. I find it very funny that despite him reaching
>the highest levels of achievement possible in the music profession he could
>be overlooked by Newham...no doubt because of his lack of brass band
>credentials! Having said that, with some bands sounding (to my ears) more
>and more like large brass ensembles perhaps a little caution is a good
>thing?

Andy,

Poor Howard, passed over by Newham and Woodfalls!

It must have been c1979 when we were advertising for an MD.

I well remember Ken Worgan, the band secretary, reading out Howard's CV,  it
used up most of the meeting time, but to us country bumpkins the only
significant detail was his rehearsal fee, which was about what we were
paying out for a month of rehearsals.  If we hadn't been such a bunch of
philistines we would have grasped the opportunity and looked at ways of
earning the income from the opportunities which Howard would have created.

How marvellous to have the binoculars of hindsight!

Thank goodness Desford had some vision (and some money) or the brass band
movement could have missed out on one of its finest!