Re: Introduction, Andy Callard

>From: "Brian Easterbrook" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "brass-band list" <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Introduction, Andy Callard
>Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 15:58:29 +0100
>
> >>Another interesting fact that might interest listmembers was that when
> >>Newham were auditioning for a new MD (and I think this was when Ray Farr
> >>was selected) one of the unsuccessful applicants was another young
> >>trumpet player from the London orchestral scene -  none other than
> >>Howard Snell!!  Nohstanding Ray's considerable achievements, I've
> >>often wondered if that decision was regretted!!

>Poor Howard, passed over by Newham and Woodfalls!
>
>It must have been c1979 when we were advertising for an MD.
>
>I well remember Ken Worgan, the band secretary, reading out Howard's CV,
>it
>used up most of the meeting time, but to us country bumpkins the only
>significant detail was his rehearsal fee, which was about what we were
>paying out for a month of rehearsals.  If we hadn't been such a bunch of
>philistines we would have grasped the opportunity and looked at ways of
>earning the income from the opportunities which Howard would have created.
>
>How marvellous to have the binoculars of hindsight!
>
>Thank goodness Desford had some vision (and some money) or the brass band
>movement could have missed out on one of its finest!

So Newham couldn't afford Howard? It's just one thing to say: Big mistake,
Newham!

The incident discussed here is quite interesting, because my band,
Eikanger-Bjorsvik Musikklag from Norway, have for several years been lucky
enough to work with both Howard Snell and Ray Farr. Snell has been our
Principal conductor since 1986, and Farr is currently our MD, a position he
has held for a total of six years. There's no doubt that these two bring a
lot of inspiration and musical knowledge to the band, and EBML's enormous
progress from the mid-80's to today is in great extent due to Howard's
fantastic pedagogical skills and Farr's enthusiastic, day-to-day work.
Howard's ability to build up a band to become a first rate ensemble is in
our opinion unprecedented. He and Farr fill different roles, and the band
definitely benefit from this. Together with Elgar Howarth as our Musical
advisor and Nick Childs as a splendid guest conductor we feel we are in the
very best hands in our work to improve as an ensemble.
(Just wait till next year's European Championship in Birmingham...)

So, Newham and other bands, if you should spend money on ANYTHING, spend it
on inspiring conductors. It will be an enormous advantage in the long run.

Christian Lura,
bass trb, Eikanger-Bjorsvik Musikklag