Re: VERY VERY bad planning!!!

Loz bemoaned,

>I am not one for slagging off any bands let alone my own, but I wish
>some people would 'GET A LIFE!'outside banding that is.
>We are all aware of the incredible sporting event taking place this
>evening, 26th May 99, and of course the equally demanding contest on
>Sunday, but to have a rehersal on this night is a very poor do indeed.
>Just a little bit of planning could have made tonight a bit more
>special for a lot of people in the band.I know there are some people in
>the group who don't give a damn about football, but a lot of people
>do.It's no good saying "well, we need the rehersal" because if the
>standard of the test piece is still far from that required then we
>might as well call it a day now.
>
>Maybe I am totally naive to contesting (I DONT THINK SO) but can anyone
>give me some feedback on the rehersal schedule for other bands
>attending the All England Masters on Sunday.

Loz,
We have Wednesday nights off always before a contest, but that's because
Wednesday is not one of our normal rehearsal days anyway.  However I don't
believe that if the match had been on the Tuesday our night off would have
switched !  When you make the type of committment that we do in playing for
a good band, missing a televised football match seems to lose it's imprtant
don't you think ?  If you're in a band and the band rehearse you should be
there (if you can).
What I do disagree most strongly with however is 'changing' rehearsals to
make it easier/more convenient for some whilst making it harder for others
to attend - what if they had moved your rehearsal to Bedworth (around a 60
mile extra round trip) and put the time forward to say 18:00, so that the
Bedworth people in your band could go and watch the football after the
rehearsal ??  You would have needed to finish work early to attend (which
you obviously would have wanted to) and would still be driving home whilst
the fortunate others were sampling their first pint of the evening.
Believe me, this kind of things happens  (except my round trips become 180
miles !).

Yours, (still going to be there !!),

Phil.
Fodens.

p.s.
Apparently when Howard was at his most fierce with the band he would demand
to see the season ticket of one of our cornet players (now chairman) if this
player ever missed, to make sure he wasn't at a 'United' game on the night
in question !....