Re: American Extravaganza

>Dear all,
>
>A friend and I are travelling across the USA this Summer (starting in mid
>July
>probably). We are taking our cornets with us, and hope to find some bands (of
>any sort really: brass, wind, etc.) to play with on our way from New York to
>L.A. Are there any American bandsmen on the list who could help us out?
>The Lass Vegas British Brass Band rehearses every Thursday night 7-9 pm.
>We'd love to have you sit in. It looks like you'll hit us between
>concerts, though. (June 27 and the next in Sept and maybe a 4th of July
>date)

>In addition, I am wondering what the American attitude to buskers is. We both
>play in a Championship section band in the UK, and we were hoping to earn a
>bit of money by trotting out "Carnival of Venice" etc. on street corners and
>in shopping malls across America...
Malls are private property. Unless you check with management you'll be run
off before you finish the first variation. Beyond that, local laws and
attitudes vary greatly. San Francisco used to be famous for street
musicians and performers. (Robin Williams is a graduate) and so is New
York. Each locale will have to be checked individually and in general I
would guess it would be a pretty rough go.