Death of Frank Vosti

Dear List,

A wonderful bandsman and friend passed away from cancer yesterday.  Some of
the Australians, particularly the list members from Melbourne, may know
Frank Vosti from Footscray-Yarraville City Band.   He passed away at the age
of 83.

I think Frank has set a world record in the brass band world, please correct
me if I'm wrong, but I'd be interested to know if anyone could beat him.
Frank was an active member and played with our band for 70 years, joining in
1929.  One man + one band = 70 years, is it a world record?  These last 6
months however he gave up the playing but still attended the majority of
rehearsals as an avid listener.

Frank was a true gentleman and a role model of commitment and dedication to
our band and to brass band playing.  In his past with the band he apparently
played principal eupho, but from since I've known him he's played 2nd
baritone, and I tell you, he could still belt out a number, no problems.

A couple of years ago he became known as Frank "oh s**t" Vosti, as when we
were playing Pagannini at the Nationals in Brisbane in 95, he missed a note
in a very quiet passage and from all accounts the front few rows of the
audience heard his "oh s**t", as did us all.

Unfortunately he didn't make it to our mid-year concert to be held in July,
which was to be a testimonial 70 year concert for Frank, and now will be his
memorial concert.

For any of you Melbourne people on the list who may be interested, his
funeral is being held on Monday 31st May at 1.30pm at Hollobones in Chambers
Road, Altona.

Rest in Peace, Frank.

Carol Wills
Footscray-Yarraville City Band