Where are our audiences?

Richard Dyson wrote:

> Maybe,
> this is a peculiar thing to Scotland (small audiences) - although I doubt it
> having played in
> England for a good few years.
>
> The band has tried to present a season of concerts at the Queens Hall in
> Edinburgh and Henry Wood Hall in Glasgow, both halls are good acoustically
> and are close to the City Centres. The concerts would feature the band
> joined by a guest soloist, sometimes from Brass Bands and sometimes from
> other artistic areas and always features a good mix of repertoire.
>
> The first of the season took place in Edinburgh to a quarter filled hall in
> February. ......
>
> I wonder if any other bands have had similar problems and can suggest ways
> to break the lack of motivation for the concert going public.

Hello Richard,

I was very interested reading your mail - this problem seems to be ongoing. I
remember a thread about the average age of audiences a few months ago.

I really do not know the answer - the bottom line seems to be that people are
not interested in going to a brass band concert. But why?

Too lazy?
Too busy?
Other things to do or go to?
Simply not interested

I know we could say that the general 'publicity' that brass bands receive is
virtually nil, but you said that you promoted yours widely. People MUST have
known about these concerts.

As I think I have said before, since being over here, I can understand why
banding is not top of people's wish list. The weather is just too good and all
Aussies seem to spend as much time as possible playing sport. And boy, they are
pretty damn good at it.Goes all the way back to culture I suppose.

But then, brass banding is / was a very big culture in England, so what has
caused the demise of the audience?

Afraid I cannot offer any answers, but certainly gets the thinking cells going.

Monkey