Re: Where are our audiences?

Peter Younghusband wrote:

> Richard Dyson wrote:
>
> > Maybe,
> > this is a peculiar thing to Scotland (small audiences) - although I doubt it
> > having played in
> > England for a good few years.
> >
> > The band has tried to present a season of concerts at the Queens Hall in
> > Edinburgh and Henry Wood Hall in Glasgow, both halls are good acoustically
> > and are close to the City Centres. The concerts would feature the band
> > joined by a guest soloist, sometimes from Brass Bands and sometimes from
> > other artistic areas and always features a good mix of repertoire.
> >
> > The first of the season took place in Edinburgh to a quarter filled hall in
> > February. ......
> >
> > I wonder if any other bands have had similar problems and can suggest ways
> > to break the lack of motivation for the concert going public.
> >

> As someone who was involved in the movement for over 24 years, since I left the
> band I probably am lucky if I have seen or heard five bands either in concert or
> on radio or TV, the marketing is non existent and as a movement bands appear to
> do nothing to increase the audience, so your plight does not surprise me at all.

Perhaps it is time that, as was suggested many years ago, each band should pay a
levy which is used for marketing and publicity by a central body, one, of course
that can be trusted to act for the good of all sections and not just the so called
"elite"

Mark

--
Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 9561460 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:

For downloading ICQ at http://www.icq.com/
For adding similar signatures to your e-mail go to:
http://www.icq.com/emailsig.html
My Work Telephone Number is: 0113 283 1042