Where are are audiences?

 I have attended in the last twelve months two sell-out concerts, one by
Faireys and one Sellers.  The fact that both concerts were practical sell
outs indicates that the advertising must have been good because people knew
about it.

However, the average age of the audience on both evenings was on the high
side so even when we can fill venues, why do the younger people, generally,
not attend?  The bands themselves, after all, consist of mainly younger
players.

As with all walks of life, brass banding needs (and can) appeal to the whole
age range for today's teenagers are tomorrows national Champions!  Both the
above concerts, I believe, would have appealed to musicians ( and
non-musicians) of all age ranges if only they had been given the opportunity
to be there.

So what is wrong?

Do we get the advertising right?
Do we ensure that the advertising is directed at all age ranges?
Having captured an audience, do we make sure we keep them and entice them to
come back by having a programme repertoire that can appeal to all ages and
levels of musicianship (although the latter could be difficult)?

Food for thought.

Keith Rowland