Re: Where are our audiences?

Monkey,
I suspect the answer to the "diminishing audience" qestion is embodied in
all of those  possible reasons you proposed plus a few others.
In my years in banding it has always appeared that the majority of the
crowds at concerts or competitions are friends, relatives and general
"hangers on" of the bands appearing. Not to say they aren't appreciative of
what's happening, but if you look at the crowds at different events you will
probably find that most of them are regulars, and even they disappear as
their playing contacts leave banding or move to another area etc.
With the apparent plethora of good bands over there is it possible that
there is simply too much of a good thing?
Are there  too many bands competing for what is obviously a selective
market?
The afficionados who are up to speed with the "named" bands always seem to
have their finger on the pulse and know what's happening and when.
However, when it comes to the lesser known outfits it becomes a question
of..." how much time, effort and money can we spend promoting our next gig".
Because of the nature of banding the answer to this question is
inevitably...not enough!
A good example of this is the recent appearance of Grimethorpe over here.
We have extremely capable bands as you are no doubt aware, but few if any
would be able to compete on a marketing and promotional basis.
Without wanting to prattle on too much I believe other areas that really
need to be addressed by a lot of bands are programme content and motive;
e.g. why do we choose these pieces to play and who do we hope to entertain
with them, the audience or ourselves?
I've probably only revived old theories but I hope this contribution may
give some food for thought and look forward to anyone else's thoughts on a
most perplexing problem.