List Chat 2

Way back in January I purchased tickets for a Black Dyke concert in my
home town of Bedworth near Coventry - as you are well aware fellow
listees - since that time there has been a lot of 'speculation'
regarding this most famous of bands.  That concert was tonight, (5th
June), and it was with great interest and anticipation that I attended
in the hope of seeing and hearing for myself what effect this reported
upheaval has had on the band.  I'm delighted to say that the band once
again thrilled the capacity audience, (which was was made up of dozens
of brass band players as well as the normal punters), with a superb
program of brass band classics as well as their now famous "Big Band"
slot, which is new for this season so James Watson informed the
audience.  Interestingly, the first half consisted of only four items:-
Queensbury - Triumphant Rhapsody - Trombone Concerto, (Gordon Langford)
and Les Preludes.  This was a half for the brass band connoisseur.
Three movements from the Planets by Holst were followed by the hymn tune
The Day Thou Gavest.  The big band arrangement by Bill Geldard was
Skyliner - Can't Get Started and 2 O'clock Jump - the finale being The
Pines Of Rome.  It seems that certain members of the brass band
fraternity were taking a certain amount of delight with the reputed
difficulties - real or imagined - of this band, but I have to report
that on the evidence of tonight's concert they have no worries.  Okay -
maybe in a head to head contest with the best about at the moment they
wouldn't be automatic winners, but they still have class, style and
appeal.  The ladies in the band appear to be there on merit and
thoroughly deserve to be.

I would like to concur with my colleague from G.U.S. and fellow listee
Rob Norman when he says "G.U.S. are back".  After a few years out of
active banding, (golf I'm afraid - 7 handicap), I was delighted to be
asked to join the band and at a busy period too with the run up to the
Masters.  It seems that G.U.S. like the Dyke have had one or two
snipers, but, whilst being fully aware that one swallow does not a
summer make, our result at the Masters is a reflection on the bands
determination to regain former glories.

It seems my great friend The Big Chap, (Martyn Pattinson - Bedworth
Brass), made quite an impression on his adoptive band Cantium Brass at
the Whit Friday March Contests.   I too can vouch for The Big Chaps
generous nature - G.U.S. - sponsorless at the moment - hadn't a trombone
suitable for Tristan Encounters so a quick e-mail and of course, he lent
me his trombone for the contest.  (I've still got it Martyn - can I hang
on to it for a while longer as I'm depping with you soon).   In all my
years in banding I've never played at the Whit Friday Contests.  You
sound as you had so much fun but you talk in riddles,  what's all this
Wuss business and Cyber talk?  Come on  - gis a clue!  Maybe If you talk
nicely to Bridget Gould she can find a spot for me next year!

All for now

Colin Randle