NZ Championships

Hi all

Just got back yesterday from New Zealand. Whoo Hoo, what a blast!

The competition was fantastic and my band , South Brisbane Federal, was
extremely happy with  our results. 3rd in the hymn, 5th in the test and 6th
in the own chice.

Besides our result and the touring I did the next day, the best thing was a
certain "champion" band from Australia floundering against the 2 QLD bands
that went over. Also, chatting with a friend in Melbourne this evening
revealed more "bastard" tactics about this band. This is all I will say here
about this. If anyone wants to have a go at me for this, then feel free.
Please make sure you state your name and which band you are from. I can
justify my "negativity" toward this band.

I also met Adrian Raven. Nice guy, great tuba player with a wonderful laid
back attitude and sense of humour. We got on like a house on fire! :-)

I did get to try the 993 front action BBb Sovereigns. NICE! Easier blowing
than the 994. A little less dark than the 994 but you really wouldn't notice
if you didn't hear them played side by side. I've never met a BBb tuba with
valves as easy as these valve fronts *drool*

Oh, I did play the 993 along side my 994 and got a true comparision. The 994
is great, but the 993's ease of playing and free hand for slide manipulation
make this a better instrument. I would recommend the 993 over the 994.

Oh, the "list meeting" in NZ was attened by a massive 1 person(s). One
Adrian J Raven himself (organiser of the event) My apologies for not
attending as my brain was elsewhere. What about the others on this list?

I had a blast and if you get the chance to, go there with your band or as a
soloist, you'll love it!

Regards

John Szkutko