Cambridge Masters - my thoughts/opinions

Hi All!

Thank you Alistair for your posting concerning the masters and for passing
on the compliment. It was appreciated.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me that "Tristan Encounters" was really
enjoyable to play and to listen to with some very musical passages. It was
a test for all the soloists too and put many of us under that little bit
more pressure. Having spent a month or so rehearsing the piece intensley it
was really nice to be able to listen to some great performances and some
class soloist playing especially from YBS (absolutely flawless), Fairey's
(who I have to say were my favourites) and Brighouse (who I heard just
before we played).

The judging system will never suite everyone but within the top 6 bands the
placings were consistent and also the bottom few bands. It was just the
ones in the middle which seem to have thrown a few spanners into the works!
Having read our remarks we have one set which is great and the judge liked
us, then there is one set where every clip and split has been noted and
also an average set. But they are a fair account of the bands performance -
we had some good bits but we had our lapses,  which is why the band was
placed 10th.

Personally I like the idea of reading what each judge thought...they were
all different and but put when put together they really illustrated our
performance. However I'm not sure about seperate placings and then an
average. Although it does show you where you could have finished just with
anyone judge. We could have been anywhere between 7th and 13th - so
finishing 10th was a good average placing for us.

I would be interested to hear what other people think of this system? Did
anybands feel that they were done out a place by this system?

Also just somthing else to add. YBS had Martin Winter play for them (who
was in my opinion class) however he is a professional musician. What do
people think about bands using professional musicians at contests?

Personally I don't have any views against this. But there are people who do
not approve of paying a pro for a contest. I think well at the end of the
day they could still have a bad day like anyone else...and if the band is
happy about them playing where is the problem. Also, one person does not
win a contest.

Some interesting points worth discussing perhaps.

I look forward to reading your replies.

Sam Harrison
Flugel@BT Band