Re: Cambridge Masters - my thoughts/opinions (and pro players!)

Hi Sam,

I actually think the judging system used at Cambridge makes a refreshing
change from blaming one person sitting in a box. Sure, no method of
adjudication is ever going to be "full proof" and meet with the approval of
everyone (unless you won of course!) but it is interesting to find out who
finished where and then to see how each judge rated them. I had friends
asking me to find out what the 3 judges thought of all the bands after the
Masters and whose vote they used as a tie-breaker. Everyone is so used to
being placed by one opinion that I can imagine it's quite different to go
through 3 different sets of results/comments which might love/hate the
performance of the band. Unlike last year there weren't really that many
controversial results (i.e. a band getting a high score, a low score and a
mediocre score) and the bands that finished at the top of the order all had
fairly consistent scores.

The subject of professional players being payed to come in and play for a
band for a contest is an interesting one. Even at the level I play at
(London & Southern Counties Third Section) I have experienced having
professional players brought in to 'bolster' a contest performance. I'm sure
that there are other bands who bring players in to get a good result for a
contest to ensure that they either gain promotion or try to avoid
relegation. In the last area contest my band had 3 professional players
although 2 of them were long serving friends of the band and all 3 of them
sat down from me on the front row so I guess I couldn't have asked for
anything more in my "bumper-uppers"! We only bought the players in as we
were short of cornets for the contest and even though we played quite well
we only came 10th out of 17. You're quite right Sam - one person does not
win a contest - and in this case, nor does three!

I personally have no problem with professional players being brought in if
they are helping out or filling in for players who cannot play in
contests/concerts, but what I do object to is seeing hard working players
who regularly turn up to rehearsals being told not to play as eventually a
pro who is being brought in to play in the contest is going to play most of
their part for them. I have experienced this in a band I played with (not my
current one) and it has been quite upsetting for those players concerned. It
hardly does anything for their confidence and can only go to create bad
feeling. With a lack of confidence like that in the rehearsal hall they are
hardly going to go on a contest platform with the greatest of confidence!

I know that this is not quite in the same league as battling it out for the
Masters or the Championships but I think it casts a different light on the
effects of bringing in pro players to bands of a lower section. Surely a
band who works together as a unit rehearsal after rehearsal is going to
progress rather than break up that unit for the sake of a couple of
rehearsals for new players to come in and create 'ill feeling' amongst those
who have had to move or drop out.

Sorry to rant - this has happened to friends of mine in other bands and at
times it has been quite distressing to watch!

Anyway - congrats again for The Masters - it sounds like you had a really
good day!

>Thank you Alistair for your posting concerning the masters and for passing
>on the compliment. It was appreciated.

You're welcome!

Alistair

Alistair Richards