pro's

Sam Harrison wrote:

> Also just somthing else to add. YBS had Martin Winter play for them (who
> was in my opinion class) however he is a professional musician. What do
> people think about bands using professional musicians at contests?
>
> Personally I don't have any views against this. But there are
> people who do
> not approve of paying a pro for a contest. I think well at the end of the
> day they could still have a bad day like anyone else...and if the band is
> happy about them playing where is the problem. Also, one person does not
> win a contest.

Pro players do have bad days sometimes.  Martin Winter played well for YBS
at the Masters, and he was also superb on sop for Brighouse at the Europeans
(especially as he was only asked to play the day before and flew straight
over, he borrowed my sop, and only saw the pieces the night before).  But at
a recent Cambridge (was it last year) he played top man with Faireys and
didn't have a good day.  He is though a fantastic player, and is also a top
bloke.  Rumour has it he was paid a hell of a lot of money to play with YBS,
as the deadline for signing players was extremely close.

Also, do you think that some of the players in top bands who are paid, such
as the YBS soloists, are professionals.  There are many players in bands who
are self-employed music teachers (peripatetic) and earn their living from
teaching and playing, are they classed as pro's.  I know there is a
difference between someone who is a peripatetic or a paid principal player
who is a full-time member of the band and gives 100% like everyone else, and
the real pro's who are bought in for 1 performance.

I don't necessarily think there is a problem in bands bringing pro's in for
a contest.  I'm sure the bands would much rather have a full band and not
have to buy someone in, but they have no choice sometimes.  Do they bring in
a pro and play at the contest, or do they withdraw because they have 1 empty
seat?  I've never really come across a pro being brought in to replace
someone who is a regular player, except for CWS Glasgow I suppose.  I don't
agree with it, and wouldn't like it done to me.

Martin.
Sop - Brighouse & Rastrick