RE: pro's

> I don't necessarily think there is a problem in bands bringing pro's in
for
> a contest.  I'm sure the bands would much rather have a full band and not
> have to buy someone in, but they have no choice sometimes.  Do they bring
in
> a pro and play at the contest, or do they withdraw because they have 1
empty
> seat?  I've never really come across a pro being brought in to replace
> someone who is a regular player, except for CWS Glasgow I suppose.  I
don't
> agree with it, and wouldn't like it done to me.

I don't think this is quite correct re the situation at CWS.  Roger Webster
and Steven Mead ARE the regular players and have played at all contests for
the last five or six years.  It would be difficult to argue against this
policy as the band have been hugely successful during this time (they did
though win the National BEFORE the 'stars' arrived).

The real problem with this policy is that Webster and Mead do not attend
every rehearsal throughout the year (nothing like it in fact) and play in
very few concerts, broadcasts, etc.  CWS are then forced to bring in guest
players, e.g. Evelyn Bradley on euph from Whitburn, when the 'stars' are
absent.  It's actually a well-known fact in Scotland that CWS are almost a
'session' band - yes, they often play brilliantly in contests under Howard
Snell but in between times the standard is known to drop alarmingly low.

Overall though, the 'stars' arrival has been very positive for Scottish
bands in general and has certainly contributed to a raising in standards of
their chief rivals, Whitburn and Kirkintilloch.