Sydney Olympics

With apologies to our American and Japanese brass band friends on the list,
I'd like to bring your attention to an appalling situation which I read in
the National newspaper yesterday.

I had heard something about American bandspeople being asked to perform at
the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympics, in fact I'm sure I read it from
one of the list people quite some time ago.  But I wonder if you realize,
that you've been asked to perform here at the complete and total exclusion
of Australian brass and concert bands?  Apparently we march with a step that
is 7 inches too long for what they want, and American and Japanese marching
bands must march with a smaller step, you know that razzle dazzle style.  So
Australian bands have been excluded from our own Olympics.

I actually felt so strongly about it that I wrote a Letter to the Editor of
the Herald-Sun (and those who know me from the list would realize that I'd
just have to do that or suffer an ulcer!!!)  This is my letter, which for
you Melbourne people reading the Herald-Sun, you probably won't read it in
print because I'd dare say they won't print it.

" The Sydney 2000 Olympic Games are the 'Australian Games' - what a joke!
Ric Birch, Opening Ceremony Director, you should be ashamed (Herald-Sun,
June 23).  We should be promoting EVERYTHING AUSTRALIAN and be proud of what
we have and use the resources from our own country.  Bringing in 1500
American and Japanese students to form the Olympic Marching Band, only
because they have a different style to Australian marching bands is
ridiculous.

As for his reason that it would be too expensive and impractical to train
Australians for the razzle dazzle style is such a cop out.  Don't you think
Australian band shave marching practice as part of their overall rehearsal?
It wouldn't cost the Olympic movement a cent in training.

But I have to say, if the organizers have 'shied away from the traditional
Anzac-type march step in favor of imported glitz and glamor' then they're
not serious about putting on an Australian flavoured event.  While we're at
it, they may as well import everyone else that's performing, because
obviously there's at least one sector of Australian entertainers that just
aren't good enough, perhaps there's others.   Hey I know ... why don't we
just move the Sydney Olympics to America!

And Ric Birch, you say that these overseas band marchers would only be
performing for 10 minutes of the three-hour ceremony - well that's 10
minutes too much.  Shame on you. "

For the Melbourne people on the list, apparently 3AW radio is having a
talkback section on the Australian band exclusion at the Opening Ceremony,
hosted by Collette Mann, from what I understand it's on just after the 1pm
news.  Might be worth a listen and ring in.

And I must congratulate the VBL for saying their piece in the newspaper
article.

Carol Wills
Footscray-Yarraville City Band
Melbourne Australia
www.users.bigpond.com/carollee/

PS:  Oh and for those of you who are new to the list you might like to go on
our "Rogues Gallery" - you can find it at
www.users.bigpond.com/carollee/wizzt.html