Re: pro's

Martin

Thanks for your reply.

As I said I don't have a problem with pro's being used at contests to fill
an empty chair for that day. However I'm not too happy about players being
brought in above others for the sake of the contest just to try and get a
few more points. This happens even in lower section bands, players are
brought in for a contest and a regular player is dropped! How can this
benefit the band? What happens after the contest when the regular player is
pissed off and leaves to go somewhere else?

With regard to soloists in a band being paid, I think that a retainer in a
top band should be paid, however where do you draw the line? Making your
living from it is slightly different than covering your expenses.
Especially when some bands are in a better financial position to offer more
money to buy in players that they want. What happens then when bands lose
sponorship etc, some bands have almost folded due to them being unable to
keep paying players.

Surely you would want to play in a band because of the atmosphere or the
standard not because of how much you get paid? Well I would - but then I've
never been offered a lot of monet to play in a band yet.

This is an interesting subject which I'm sure many people have strong
feelings about. I'd like to hear what other people think on this subject.

Sam
Flugel@BT Band