RE: pro's

The subject of pro's in SA bands went the rounds some years ago (when we
had more players to be selective about it). Obviously we are not
retained on the same basis as contest players, but there is a similar
feeling of angst when some in a band that are committed on a full-time,
but unpaid, basis get chy when a ringer appears on a one-off basis
and gets mileage expenses for his trouble. On the other hand, our bands
have benefitted enormously from having committed professionals offer
their skills on a goodwill basis, and are often the most reliable and
committed members because of their training and background. Good amateur
bands are totally dependent on the goodwill and the availability of its'
players, not on the salaries they can offer, and mixing the two
inevitably sets up tensions.I wonder if a fully professional salaried
band, as in the military band sense, would actually survive the demands
of contesting in todays generally apathetic environment?6 rehearsals a
week on overtime rates?
Andrew Justice