Re: Sydney Olympics

Carol WILLS wrote:

> With apologies to our American and Japanese brass band friends on the list,
> I'd like to bring your attention to an appalling situation which I read in
> the National newspaper yesterday.

'This is accepted, although I am neither American nor Japanese! It truly is an
atrocity! I am quite sure, and I think our American friends would tell us so,
that it would not be accepted in the Good ol US of A. and no it should not be!

> I actually felt so strongly about it that I wrote a Letter to the Editor of
> the Herald-Sun (and those who know me from the list would realize that I'd
> just have to do that or suffer an ulcer!!!)  This is my letter, which for
> you Melbourne people reading the Herald-Sun, you probably won't read it in
> print because I'd dare say they won't print it.

Good for you! I realise it takes considerable intestinal fortitude to do so, and
then you always question yourself if you did do the correct thing by presenting
your views.

> " The Sydney 2000 Olympic Games are the 'Australian Games' - what a joke!
> Ric Birch, Opening Ceremony Director, you should be ashamed (Herald-Sun,
> June 23).  We should be promoting EVERYTHING AUSTRALIAN and be proud of what
> we have and use the resources from our own country.  Bringing in 1500
> American and Japanese students to form the Olympic Marching Band, only
> because they have a different style to Australian marching bands is
> ridiculous.
>
> As for his reason that it would be too expensive and impractical to train
> Australians for the razzle dazzle style is such a cop out.  Don't you think
> Australian band shave marching practice as part of their overall rehearsal?
> It wouldn't cost the Olympic movement a cent in training.

Why should you have to train, when you go to another Country don't you have to
learn how to march to their step. I think there is much more to it than what is
publicly being presented. Would it be perhaps that the Musical / Artistic
Director might be from one of the N A countries (south of the 49th parallel)?
Just wondering, or is he /she a native Aussie?

This is your show, put it on for the world with your people to the fore.

Regards,
Larry White
Vancouver BC
Canada