re: BORROWED PLAYERS

Samantha Harrison wrote:

>Do you arrange with a dep before the job how much you are prepared to pay?
>I always feel really awkward especially when bands try and avoid paying
you. (But I
>remember and when they ask again I'm always too busy!)

I depped for a lower section band last year.  With the rehearsal and the
concert itself I covered about 150 miles, at my expense.  It was quite a
hassle getting there on time after work but they didn't offer me any
expenses - even a tenner would have been welcome. (You never know, I might
even have turned it down!)  After the concert the conductor didn't even
thank me (although others in the band did).  However, being far too British
about it all I didn't bring the subject up and the net result was simply a
feeling of resentment (and no, I didn't play that badly!)

So I think whether you are the dep or the concert secretary requiring the
dep, you MUST bring the subject up beforehand and agree the money side.  It
might need you to take a deep breath first but it is better when both sides
know the score.  If either party is not happy with the arrangement they can
always say no!

Don't feel awkward - ask for what you want and think is fair and don't worry
about whether you have pitched it too low.  If it is too high it is up to
them to say  "I'm sorry, we can't afford to pay that much, how about.... "

Jud.