Introduction from North Devon

My name is John Croker and I am the Conductor of Bideford Town Band in
North Devon.I have been reading with interest over the past few months and
thought that it was time to introduce myself. I have been conducting the
band for approx. 3 years having played in it (on and off) for the previous
30 years on Trombone. I say on and off because until I retired from the
Devon & Cornwall Constabulary in 1995 it seemed more off than on. My
younger days in the far off 60's and before were spent with Cinderford and
Lydney Bands in the Forest of Dean, and I started my playing with the City
of Gloucester Band under George Beckingham. Enough about me. My purpose of
introducing the band at this time is to say that from next monday and every
Monday during July and August Bideford Band will be playing every other
week on Bideford Quay and the alternate monday at Westward Ho. Between 7.30
p.m. and 9 p.m. If anybody is on holiday and wishes to join us they are
very welcome, with sufficient notice I can provide an instrument. Our
practice night is Thursday at 7.30p.m. close to Bideford Pannier market.
Congratulations to young Glen Philp. I wish him the best of luck. A
fortnight ago we held our 10th solo & quartet contest and Glen won his
class playing Panis Angelicus. The following day at the workshop his father
brought him all the way back up to North Devon from St. Austell where he
played it to the massed band and audience. Brian Buckley and Lloyd Landry
were very impressed with him and his dad for making the effort.