Re: Introduction from North Devon

John Croker wrote:

> My younger days in the far off 60's and before were spent with Cinderford and
> Lydney Bands in the Forest of Dean, and I started my playing with the City
> of Gloucester Band under George Beckingham.

Certainly at the time (and maybe nowadays too) Cinderford and Lydney
were top bands in the area. I think Flowers Gloucester has taken over as
the noted band from the area.

John: is that the George Beckingham who used to present a brass band
programme on Severn Sound, Gloucestershire's local independent radio
station? My very first memories of banding include him, but we are
talking about a LONG time ago!  He conducted my first Massed Bands
concert. Three youth bands played in a concert in the Roses Theatre,
Tewkesbury on 26th February 1978. The Vale Youth Band, (named after the
Vale of Evesham, Worcestershire) played a few items that included "The
Ploughboy" where I "soloed". The VYB was conducted by Stan Smith, but
George conducted us all in a programme that read...
Amparito Roca
Sound of Music selection
Floral Dance (with encore)
All in the April Evening
La Paloma Blanca
Hootenanny (with encore)

Who the other 2 bands were in the "massed bands", I've got no idea.
Perhaps you could help?

It was a great concert: I believe my serious interest in banding started
here. I had just turned 12 years old.

Robert Lynch, Eb Bass, Evening Post Wellington Brass, Wellington, NZ