Re: Pershore Midsummer Brass

BigChap27@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Just got back from the 10th Pershore festival. IMHO this is one of the best
> brass band days out of the year. It is still one of the UK's best kept brass
> band secrets but it provides a wonderful opportunity for bands of all
> sections to play in a marquee and then abbey setting in a non-competitive
> environment.

In my opinion there is no exaggeration here- this is just THE most
incredible day of music-making. For anyone who was there, was the
Leisure Centre used too, or have the acoustics finally taken their toll?
Is Gordon Hartley-Bennett still driving it from behind the scenes as he
always used to?

> It was also great to see a fair sprinkling of listmembers. Clair 'which band
> am i playing for' and Steve 'where is winchley' Tomalin must have come the
> furthest and played for the most bands although they didn't break Robert
> Lynch's record (was it 5 Bob?) of a few years ago.

It WAS 5 bands, Martyn, well remembered, amounting to 9 45-minute
concerts that day. If you wish to count a Quintet that opened the
festival along with the huge new Wychavon Council offices in 1992(?) and
the Massed Bands in the Abbey after, that made 7 ensembles. Between
midday and 10pm I was fortunate enough to have played for..
Quintet: the Pezel Players(?)
Malvern Hills (A. Darby)
Perscoran Brass (G. Hartley-Bennett)
Nunnery Wood Youth Band (Tony White)
Stourport (C. Farlow) (twice)
Banks's Brewery Band (D. Maplestone) (twice)
Massed Bands

There used to be 2 main highlights: Bretforton ending the day at the
Angel Inn, and Banks's Brewery closing the main programme in the Abbey.
It was a real shame that these events coincided.
How was the weather this year? And was there the entertaining spectacle
of watching brass players run from one venue to another because there
was another concert starting in 10 mins time?

> For those who've never heard of the Festival, it is really worth making the
> effort next year, it's always the first Saturday in July.
>
> Martyn Pattinson
> Bedworth Brass

Robert Lynch (rarely known as "Bob"), Eb Bass, Evening Post Wellington
Brass, New Zealand.