Re: Brassed Off Music

I was very honoured to be part of the stage production of Brassed Off when
it came to the National Theatre in London.  When the 'Concerto de Aranjuez'
flugel solo was performed by Freeh Copeland, (who incidentally is now
acting as a police woman in Emmerdale) we definitely played from printed
music rather than manuscript (and before I get asked - the music was all
handed back after the show!).  However, I believe that it has not been
formerly published, and there has been a long-standing copyright issue with
Rodrigo's widow (I think Rodrigo passed away some time ago?).

I was always amazed that this piece was chosen for the film, because of the
copyright problems, and can only think that the film company and theatre
company must have managed to arrange a special dispensation for it - either
that or they were working on the basis that if a legal issue arose,
'there'd be no such thing as bad publicity"!!

So, as far as I understand the piece is not available in a published form,
but it appears to be in wide circulation in a manuscript form - (I also
think that confirmation of the arranger should remain unanswered in case of
legal fallout!).

I know this doesn't really help you in your plight, but it will at least
make you aware of the reasons why the arrangement appears to be so
illusive!  It also means that you will only be able to get sight of it if
you can track a band down willing to lend it to you.

CLAIR TOMALIN
Flugel
Clacton-on-Sea Co-Operative Band (Mainly)
Aveley & Newham (Regularly .. but that's what marriage is about!)
Wuss Brass 2000 (Annually ... if I survive the first one!)
http://www.justselect.co.uk/wussbrass2000
E-Mail: c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ICQ#:  21868132