Live internet banding

Hi to all

Perhaps I was looking too far into the future? (no pun intended).  Webcams are digital
cameras that connect to your PC.  Cheap to buy, easy to install (when was anything
computer orientated easy to install?) and work best with highspeed/optical/cable
connections.  A 56kb modem might struggle to buffer the stream, anyway, if you have access
to these three things, then its not too long before you'll dump your TV for a PC based tv
service.

For example, presently, I've seen video-internet sites where you join an interactive chat
group, all with cameras and conversations are typed.  As yet, live audio is complicated to
include because the its not a truly "one to one" telephone type connection, therefore a
time delay can make any audio communications are disjointed. The result would be a bit
like the AOL instant messaging system, only you can see the person your typing to.
Apply this idea to this group and instead of sending an email to the brass band mailing
list, you could connect to a live brass band chat group site and see the person/group your
typing to.

Utopia for me would be surfing here in Canada and being able to follow a rehearsal,
choosing a "band" site and following the evenings progress or a contest or a concert?

Just imagine sitting at home, perhaps in another country and following the progress of the
Nationals from the Albert Hall, the Whit Friday marches, the Open, the Masters etc....
Forget pay-per-view, you don't need a tv company to set the thing up.

The next Cyberband is planned for Toronto.  Where better to put this ideato the test. Set
up a digital camera, connect to Shaw Cable and that's it, just give us the web address and
we'll all be there Nigel.

Its just a thought.

John F.
BBb