National Finals - Disqualification

I guess those "in the know" or with access to the BB today will be aware of
the hot news.  But for those who haven't, here it is.

It is reported that Desford and Redbridge have been refused entry in the
Championship section and Kibworth from the 1st section.  It is alleged that
the offical entry forms failed to arrive by the closing date of 3rd July
1999.

Apparantly, the rules of competition clearly state that if the required
entry form is not received by the date specified then the next highest
placed band <may> be invited.  Whilst the letter of the law would seem to
have been applied, it does seem to me to be red tape at it's worst.  Can
there not be room for discretion if a particular case demands it?

I guess such rules are made to stop any band consistently being late hence
the emphasis on the word <may>.  I am not aware if any of these bands have
been guilty in previous years so I cannot comment on that.
All  business and life decisions require a degree of discretion within laid
down paramaters and I wonder whether this should have been used in this case
or do list members consider that "rules is rules!"

If these are just isolated cases then I feel that the decision  has slightly
devalued the competition.  I wonder whether some bands might just not bother
in the future if men in grey suits apply rules so strictly.

Of course, an easy answer would have been for the bands in question to have
returned the required entry forms earlier.  They all qualified a few months
ago so why leave it to the last week when the rules are so apparantly clear?

A little food for thought and I am sure there will be a bit of healthy
debate.

Incidentally, it is reported that the replacement bands are Glossop Old,
Aveley & Newham (championship) and Nottingham City Transport (1st section).

Keith Rowland
Clacton SA