Re: National Finals - Disqualification

Re: Keith comments below:

My following comments are on a wider basis than just Brass Bands, but
I think Keith raises a fundamental issue here.

I think "rules is rules".  How many time recently have you driven down
a road in a village or otherwise to have an "oik" driving at you on
the wrong side of the road, earning the title "oik" because his/her
side of the road is blocked due to parked cars, obstructions, whatever
- and he/she feels you have no right to exist on the same planet even
though your side is perfectly clear? (Brits - how many get hacked off
at ***holes in cars fitted with front fog lights using them to show
how large their penis ought to be thought? No regard to whether they
are necessary or legal or relevant in the conditions or difficult for
other road users)

Queues ("Lines" for our colonial cousins (only kidding guys <g>))
being jumped in shops because said oik doesnt think he has to abide by
rules that the rest of society runs by.  In fact, law appears to be
(sometimes) based on adherence to what was once conducive to good
community behaviour.

I think that often, rules/laws are flouted by those who think they are
above them - and they need a "short, sharp, shock" to remind them they
are not unique and have to abide by society rules (whether they be
micro rules in the brass banding world or macro rules as in society).
Judiciary (again in MHO) has to sort out whether it was arrogance or
accident.  And I hope such even-handed judgement was at play here, if
indeed thats what happened.

So -  my view is (assuming the proposition is indeed correct) that
they missed the deadline, they didnt file so they pay the price.  Next
time be less arrogant/more proactive/whatever.

Steve Larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com