Re: National Finals - Disqualification

Raymond Rochester (in an uncharacteristically bovine moment)
wrote:

>  After all, who on the respective regional committees has actually done
>  the business?  They are by and large 'wannabees', they rely on other
>  people's endeavours for their own personal glory.

How dare you, Raymondo!  Serving on the Northern Regional Committee
is possibly the least glorious thing I do, second in
ingloriouslessness only to serving on the Yorkshire and Humberside
Association Committee.  I'd far sooner be helping out on the front
row at Dyke, attending recording sessions of one of my compositions,
lecturing on Balinese music or conducting Harrogate Band in Ripon
Cathedral (24.9.99 - spot the plug!) but someone has to do it...or no
contests!   If I was really looking for personal glory there are many
better ways to achieve it that humping percussion round the stage at
Darlington when all your mates are in the bar!  Folks on the Regional
Committees long ago gave up expecting thanks for what they do but
your comments fall wide of the mark!

Regarding the disqualifications, the NCC has been sending out fairly
strong messages for the last 18 months or so that rules will be
firmly applied and enforced. Remember at the Areas when winners were
announced: "...bands may be considered for an invitation to the
national finals..." when we all thought it was an automatic right!
I suppose the thinking is that if the NCC accepts a late entry it
will have broken one of its own rules and in doing so risks legal
action from the bands who would have benefitted from others'
disqualification.  For example if Redbridge went on to win the
Nationals (good call, Bram!!!) the NCC might find itself on very
dodgy ground indeed.

Surely the solution would be to have in place a satisfactory appeals
procedure at which bands might be properly represented and the
outcome of which would preclude further (legal) action from either
party; most importantly this would settle the matter amongst
ourselves before it all gets out of hand and goes to court, where the
only real beneficiaries seem to be the solicitors themselves.  If
there's a good reason why these bands weren't able to meet the
deadline, fine;  if not they have no real grounds for complaint.

David
(writing on my own behalf and not as a member of the Northern
Regional Committee!)

PS: the last time Alan Hope gave me a lift in his car he drove a
Toyota MR2 to which no front fog lights were fitted!  The real
problem seems to be people with four wheel drive off-road vehicles
who never get further off the road than Sainsbury's car park -
obviously not you, Ray!