Re: National Finals - Disqualification

I don't know who you are Mr Todd, but I thoroughly disagree with you!

In 1995 we were lucky enough (I say lucky because it's all down to the
adjudicators opinion) to win the fourth section at the Northern Areas and wi
a place to Wembley.

Approximately two weeks before the deadline Alan Hope telephoned all the
bands involved to remind them that the deadline was approaching fast, so tha
any bands who had not completed the paperwork still had ample time to do so.
(Who cares therefore whether he's got big fog lights on his car?)  We have
always found Alan to be very fair and a very approachable man. He has all th
bands interests at heart.

In my opinion it is an achievement in obtaining a place in the finals and so
I cannot see how anyone would let the deadline pass, are these bands really
so blas=E9, that they think all they need to do is turn up on the day and ta
ke
part.

A lot of organisation goes into these events and if the bands concerned can'
be bothered then the organisers are right to abide by the rules and select
the next band for a place.

Over the years we've put a lot of time and effort into our regional finals
and so the chance to actually appear in the nationals meant an awful lot to
us. OK so we're only a fourth section band but we still deserved to be there
.
(I for one had to play that year tanked up on painkillers with a slipped dis
in my spine, and I passed out before I went on stage - but the win made it
worth while!)

We can appreciate that bands may have administrative lapses from time to
time, but surely this is down to the committee members to make sure that thi
does not happen.

For the record I would point out that these are simply my personal
observations and not necessarily those of the Kirkby Lonsdale Brass Band
(although I'm sure the majority would agree!)

Jacque
Kirkby Lonsdale Brass Band (temp first horn, I'm trying to get my solo seat
back)