Re: Finals disqualifications

Hi

Jeremy Wise wrote:

> I know of at least one 2nd section band that is
> already considering withdrawal as Three Figures is way beyond them. As for
> Concerto for Band in the Champ section - I hope that it has been
> substantially revised as the original does not appeal at all to me - from a
> playing or listening point of view.

Most bands I know are having fun with Three Figures - a crazy
choice; for me it is a much more complex score than Pagentry
which is still used to test bands at the highest level.   When the
test pieces were announced we all went out for a drink to celebrate
the fact that we hadn't qualified...  And I hear on the grapevine
that Un Vie de Matelot has been chosen for the Mineworkers Contest -
second section again - with Variations on a Ninth for the first
section and Variations on the Shining River for Championship - can
anyone confirm this?

When I submitted a piece to the Nationals music selection
committee a couple of years ago with the suggestion that my piece was
considered for the First section, the note came back (along with the
rejection letter - shame!) that despites its technical difficulties
(irregular compound mixed metres, complex interlocking rhythms, three
independant percussion parts, some high, exposed solos and a short
aleatoric section (a la Trittico/Revelation) etc, etc) it might be
better suited to the Third section...

Is there a not-so-well-hidden agenda here that we haven't been told
about?

On this basis I look forward to hearing fourth section bands tackling
Paganini Variations at the Areas next year, though on second thoughts
they may sound better from the bar...  Certainly, it's great to try
out these pieces in the bandroom, and all credit to those second
section bands who can make a decent job of Mr Howell's handiwork, but
to impose it as a compulsory piece for the National Finals seems
unnecessarily sadistic!

David