RE: Finals disqualifications

>Rod Gibson [rodg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]wrote:

>Well now, Peter, perhaps now you are no longer a member of a band you wi
ll
>have time to join one of the organising committees and then show them al
>how it should be done, and we can all look forward to a utopian future.
On
>the other hand ................

Peter Harris [peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] replies:

Well now, Ron, thanks for the excellent suggestion.  A lot of my time spa
re
time is currently spent completing National Lottery Grant applications fo
Brass Bands. =A3225,000 to date with 100% success rate.  I think this is
more
likely to lead to a utopian future than membership of any committee.

>Don Cooper [Don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:

>Pete Harris also wrote:
>So, now we have a final where the 'also rans' take part.

>I take great exception to that comment.  In both 1998 and 1999 Glossop O
ld
>failed to qualify for the Albert Hall by one point.  We are currently
>ranked 33rd in the Brass Band World rankings and came a creditable 5th i
>the Grand Shield this year.  To describe us as "Also Rans" is an insult
>which we do not deserve.  It's not our fault that the NCC decided to uph
old
>the rules.  Direct your sour grapes at them, not at us!  My personal
thoughts.

Pete Harris Replies

Don, my comments were my personal thoughts too.  If I do have any sour
grapes I can assure you they are not directed at bands like yours, or any
other substitute, for whom I have the greatest amount of respect.  It is
just a shame that national finalists are not necessarily there based on
adjudicator decisions but an ability to handle paperwork.  This seems
strange to me for a musical contest.