Fourth-section test pieces. was Re: Finals disqualifications

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 at 09:42:40 +0100, Samantha Harrison wrote:

> However, the hardest piece we played was in section 4 in 1995 when the test
> piece was Gilbert Vinters Vizcaya. Out of about 20 bands the adjudicators
> made a comment that he had only heard a couple of bands play the piece..on
> this occasion we came 2nd (Elland Silver).

I don't know that piece, so I can't say whether it really was that
difficult, but I feel sure that this is better than the situation last
March in class 4, where I felt as if I was competing in a lottery. How
adjudicators are expected to order 30+ bands, the majority of whom
played Indian Summer without technical blemish, is anyone's guess. And
the ordering, even in the middle reaches, does matter.

Ian