Re: National Finals - Disqualification

Music is an individual preference. But I do think the description of
Brenton Broadstock's work Fortuna as "awful" is a little wrong without
giving reasons. Brenton is a successful Australian composer - orchestral,
chamber and brass - who grew up playing trombone in Salvation Army brass
bands and has been regularly commissioned by SA bands, including a new
trombone solo on the ISB soloists discs just released.
Fortuna seems to have attracted mixed reactions around Australia.
In the SA area, Brenton has been well respected for many years. It's
surprising then that on his first foray into "outside" brass bands that his
work is not fully appreciated with its use of different instrument blends
and the full involvement of percussion which can often be just a tack-on.

PS: I thought the state championships were in Ballarat. Maybe I was
somewhere else!

Chris Earl