A New Book

I just (last Friday) finished what I hope will be a resource for the entire
wind world.

It is an edition of the 24 VOCALISES FOR ALL VOICES by Marco Bordogni.  To
the low brass world the editions by Rochut and Schmidt (as well as the new
edition by Sluchin) are part of our basic repertoire.  Further, the
application of these etudes to the trumpet world (by Cichowicz) and their
transposition by clefs (by Jacobs) extend them far afield of their original
application.

With the arrival of SMARTMUSIC from CODA and its adoption by YAMAHA in
conjunction with their SILENTBRASS, all that players lacked was the means
to exploit the possibilities of:

		1.  Bordogni's wonderful bel canto
		2.  SMARTMUSIC's addition of the piano accompaniments
		3.  the computer's ability to manipulate music infinitely
(via FINALE)

There is a 95-page book of an edition of the etudes in bass clef, bass clef
down an octave, and B-flat treble clef.  The edition is based on an 1860
edition of the vocalises that has some wonderful ideas about phrasing and
musicianship.  With the book alone, almost any brass player can play the
"published" version of each of the 24 etudes.

On an accompanying CD there are 4,481 pages of the same edition of the 24
vocalises transposed to every clef or octave imaginable.  All are in
ACROBAT, and the MAC and PC installers are included as well.  Now any
instrument (including woodwinds and strings) can share our borrowed
repertoire.

Not only are the etudes transposed, but their enharmonic versions are
included as well. (If it's in G-flat, it's in F-sharp.)  Beyond bass and
treble clef there are versions in alto, tenor, soprano, mezzo-soprano, and
baritone clefs, all in multiple transpositions.

All of this is tied together by an ACROBAT interface which begins with a
choice of clef and/or transposition.  This is followed by a table which
indicates the starting transposition and the range of available etudes
which are combined into volumes of a given transposition.  All of the keys
are given of each etude so one can choose by transposition, range, or key.
Clicking on the desired column will transport one to the chosen volume
where one can scroll through the pages to choose and the print a selection.
The logo on the first page of each edition is the reset button to the first
interface.

It takes longer to explain it than do it;-)

I have been using these on my own students with a measure of success.  Some
play the same etudes in a fixed set of keys (5-7 sharps or flats) while
others play a single etude in ascending/descending keys in alto or tenor
clefs.  All of them are accompanied by the SMARTMUSIC system to assist
pitch and rhythm.

This only a tool; however, I hope that my colleagues will find it a most
useful one.

The book and CD are $18.50 plus $4.50 handling.  The CD alone is $10 plus
$4.50 handling.

BTW, I know that the possibility of abuse of all of this is a likelihood,
so each page that is printed has the logo of the publisher;-)  Sorry about
that.

I have long loved the Bordogni vocalises, and SMARTMUSIC has been a joy for
me and my students.  This is my small contribution to the art of pedagogy.

Bob Brule of Cimmaron has been kind enough to share in my insanity.  I hope
many of you will join us by purchasing a copy for your own enjoyment.  He's
got about 40 copies of the book ready to go.  There are two CD's still left
from the first pressing, and more can be made quickly.

Here's his URL:

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

For those of you who don't know about SMARTMUSIC, here's Coda's URL:

http://www.codamusic.com/

Let me hear from you, especially if you can think of other applications for
using these paedagogically.

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
Sam Houston State University