RE: Finals disqualifications

Individual committee members and contest organisers do not make or change
the rules, they apply them to the letter, and these days they have to or
they get sued. If you want the rules changed or amended you should write
formally to the organising committee and say what you want changed and why.
So stop whinging and join the relevant committee or write the letters, and
don't enter a contest if you don't know the rules beforehand.

Grandad

Brian Easterbrook wrote :

>The very existence of Brass Bands is under threat from every direction and
>we, the brass band movement, can't even find a way for bands to flourish.
>There will probably be resignations from some of the players who were
>looking forward to the finals and now feel they have lost their motivation.
>What about the poor admin guy, he/she is probably distraught.  I think I
>would emigrate if it were me!
>
>Far be it from me to tell the NCC what to think but I believe every meeting
>of the NCC, BFBB, BB Registry and all the Brass Band Councils of the world
>should have as their motto "HOW CAN WE MAKE IT EASIER FOR BRASS BANDS TO
>THRIVE" - at least put it on your agenda for the next meeting!

Dee & Paul Rothery wrote
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I can certainly agree that
there has to be rules and they have to be applied but you've got to look at
the big picture. I used to do solo contests in the London and Southern
counties area and one time I wanted to enter a duet with my mate. I was
told that I wasn't allowed because he played for a different band (also in
the London area). But at the same time some of these contests were stopping
because of poor attendance. Logic tells me that it's not for the good of
the movement but the committee member I dealt with only saw the rule in
black and white.

Fortunately not all committee members were so petty.