Re: NCC

Wait a minute, did I read a different article. The system used to be 1 form,
signed by 35 (ok, 28+) players four weeks before a contest, then again on the
day. The system right now is 1 form, with signatures only required on the day.
Alan Hope (need I say more) wants the system to be 1 signature form, plus 28+
individually signed forms returned before the contest, plus signatures on the
day. To make it worse, no registration cards are being used (photos are the only
definite proof of a players registration). What a mess that is going to be.

The reason for this is obviously the NCC wanting to cover their backs after
their humiliating shambles with past registration matters. Alan Hope says as
much on the front page of BB. I can't see why they don't look at it from a
common sense point of view. The transfer deadline is four weeks. Competing bands
at every contest should be send out a list of the band's 35 registered players
after this date. No forms needed. On the day of the contest players sign a
single form (preprinted with their 35 names) and show their photo from their
registration card, as normal. The officials check the numbers, and that's it. No
fuss, no loopholes, minimum effort ;-)

Also - not wanting to bash the NCC too much (they do deserve it though) but the
entry for the nationals is becoming a shambles. All bands who qualify should be
automatically entered. A form should be sent to every band, but instead of
returning it to enter, they should only return it if they withdraw. The only
form they need to return is one detailing their conductor, and if they forget
that then it's simply a space in the programme.

<JT>